Thursday, November 4, 2010

Roots

My quilt is done, my quilt is done!

It is the most fantastic heritage scrapbook I've ever seen. And it's not even a scrapbook! It fits on the wall perfectly, right at the landing of my stairs, so you can see it from wherever you are sitting in the living room.

Old homesteads.

Mule teams harvesting.

Marriage certificates.

Vintage pictures.

Excerpts from my mom.

It's priceless.


Some of my favorite portions of the quilt -it was hard to pick just a few!
This one of my mom, and the corresponding story of her playing in the mud and not acting like a "Little Lady" is hilarious! Love it!
My mom and her older brothers.

Grandpa/Grandma Grant's certificate of marriage and a pic of his train - he was an engineer.


As mom tells it, the Grants were so proud of their legs. This one is a great comparison shot of "Grant Legs" versus "Mires Legs". Too funny!
.
I had it quilted at The Fabric Patch in Ephrata. Great ladies. Experts. Handled my priceless treasure with such care. Added gold edging to the border to create a look of a matted picture. Sewed around 7,000 (ish) buttons and pics without a complaint. I would recommend them 100 times over, if you need any quilting done!
.
I am so thankful to my mom for the hours and hours she put into this quilt! Not to mention the history and personal excerpts. I am excited for the boys to have a piece of their family history in front of them every trip up the stairs.
.
Thanks, mom! You are the best - I love you!!!
.
PS - (I think they got a princess, whether they (or you) knew it or not!)


2 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Who needs a book when you've got a quilt?!

Incredible. Really incredible.

I love the leg picture. That is one classic snapshot.

We'll miss you this next week.

Miller Family said...

WOW! I am speechless. It is so amazing! I wish you were going to retreat, 1-because you are so fun and have great ideas and 2-I would love to see the quilt in person. Did you copy pictures onto fabric? How is that done? I would love a tutorial. Hee Hee What a great way to capture memories!!