Tuesday, October 12, 2010

What a week!

  1. Football is done.
  2. Basketball (Jr. High) is on the horizon.
  3. Karate continues.
  4. I am coaching basketball this year. Woo Hoo!! YIKES!!!!
  5. I went through a box of stuff and memories, looking for my old basketball playbooks and motivational stuff. WOW! Found both of my high school playbooks. No luck on the College one. Also found a "volume" of poems I wrote in college. Your early twenties are such an emotional time. And very dramatic. And apparently also pretty cheesy.
  6. I also found my first grade notebook. I thought I was much more advanced than what Colton's class did last year - Matt thought it was way behind. I guess we'll settle in the middle and assume he's getting an education worth paying for.
  7. Dinner at home most nights the past couple weeks = NICE.
  8. The dishes involved in that? Not so nice.
  9. On the bright side? I'm caught up on the folding. Miraculous, indeed :)
  10. Wilbur Ellis/Warden High homecoming night kickoff to our food drive - FANTASTIC! 600 pounds of food to start us off. Food drive runs until first week of December. Last year = 15,000 pounds in the Upper Basin. Hope we beat that . . .
  11. Trying hard to retain the difference between a Shuv-It and a Pop-Shuv-It. Not to mention an Ollie, 50/50 Grind, Ollie 180, and various others that have his toes peaking through his new shoes already. It all looks like skateboard trick mumbo jumbo to me, but Chance and Colton are getting tired of explaining.
  12. Both of my boys asked for haircuts this week. I think we've reached a new level in personal hygiene.
  13. Hosting Thanksgiving for my family - trying to decide how much is a reasonable budget to spend on a cleaning service the week before. The number increases daily. I can't even keep up with the dishes.
  14. Ready to be done with Election 2010. I'm not a politician. Friends with one side and supporters AND friends with the other side is so uncomfortable! Without saying a word, just sitting in a certain section of the audience during a debate says - "although you are my friend, I really don't think you are qualified to do this job." Hard to do. Ugh. Politics have become so divisive at all levels, there is very little respectful discourse anymore. You must love the guy you're voting for and hate the other. It's just not me.
  15. Chance is becoming a pretty frugal money manager. Finally spent his gift cards from his birthday (in August). Decided against a new cell phone (doesn't use it enough [yet]), and an iPod (content to borrow mom's), and has a decent amount of minutes left on the old cell phone (for now). So, a new skateboard got the nod. Internet research, and more internet research, and more internet research, finding out more than I ever knew was possible about decks, trucks, bearings, wheels, grip tape, etc., etc., etc. I'm proud of him!
  16. On the other hand, all of my free time is spent reading books on handling "TWEEN" attitudes. I've actually come across some very helpful suggestions, but I'm leaning toward Darla's method for our next battle - take away everything but bed and clothing. Everything else is privileges to be earned.
  17. Colton continues to amaze me. He is doing so well in school - the vocabulary that surfaces occasionally is well beyond his years. But, really, he could care less - about homework, school work, reading, etc. Hoping something peaks his interest enough to capture his focus. Look out world when it does!
  18. We had a field trip of Chance and Colton's classes to our house to see the bee hives and extract honey. I gotta say - based on the incessant questions alone - we don't pay 1st and 2nd grade teachers enough. In addition, based upon the tween attitude mentioned above, we also don't pay 6th grade teachers near enough. Thank the Lord for the heart of a teacher. Truly an amazing gift.
  19. Random Napoleon Dynamite quotes are starting to hit me at unsuspecting times. The boys are certainly rubbing off on me. "I don't understand a word that just came out of your mouth!"
  20. The boys are working on the old Dodge. It'll be a pretty sweet ole truck when it's all said and done. Both boys have lots of "credit hours" on the books - 1 hour working on the truck = 1 hour driving the truck. We'll see how the books look once they turn 16 . . .

That's about it for me. What's on your list lately?

1 comment:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh, I do love your list. Thank you for posting.

Where/who are you coaching? That's exciting.