Saturday, January 9, 2010

Are you a Cheapskate?


'Cause I am. My boys are fairly used to hearing "wait until it's on sale and I have a coupon" when they want something from the store. From groceries to clothing to eBay to (apparently) vacation, getting a good deal is my favorite past time.


I will take this moment to admit that I've failed a time or two in my quest for a bargain. We had many a "lesson" in hotel rating systems before I finally learned.


When we first began considering our Disney vacation, I started with some advice from friends and priced the packages on the Costco web site. And, truthfully, if I had about $4500 to spare, I would have been all over this user-friendly one-stop-shop. It would have made vacation sooooo easy.


We didn't have $4500 to spare.


Matt quickly reminded me of our recent carpet purchase. And our recent car purchase. And that it was Christmas.


I had to sharpen the pencil if I really wanted to go on this vacation. And I really wanted to go on this vacation.


So I sharpened.


And sharpened.


And sharpened.


It must have worked. Off to Disneyland we went, the day after Christmas.


Monday, I'll tell you all about how this "cheap steak" (as Colton says it) made it to Disneyland on about 1/2 of Costco's budget.


But, for today, I want to know - are you a cheap skate? Or a cheap steak? How? Tell me your favorite money saving strategy - whether it's coupons or homemade laundry detergent, I want your secrets!!!

1 comment:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh Heather, I can't wait until you spill all. I love your posts.

I am a cheap steak. My most effective way to earn money is by saving it. I can do without a lot of things so that I have it for the things I really want. So my strategy is to earn it by saving it (homemade lots of things, go without on other things).

Can't wait for an update.