Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thankful

What a week.

What a day.

I am reminded of one of my favorite songs by Tree 63, Blessed Be Your Name:

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's all as it should be
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Lord, blessed be Your name

We've had some of both this week, for sure. The senseless killings of 4 police officers near Tacoma took my breath away. Pain in the offering, for sure. If I let it, it will block out all the many blessings of the week - when the world was as it should be. I can't let it.
.
This is the sign above our dining room entry


So, the only way I know how to let the "good" still win is to count my blessings. Literally.


  1. I am thankful that Chance had two home basketball games this week, and that he did well in both of them. The boys are improving so much!


  2. I am thankful my parents were able to attend another game, and that they wanted to come out and see my new living room after. Thanks for a fun evening, mom & dad!


  3. I am blessed beyond my wildest imagination - well beyond what I deserve. We went grocery shopping on Saturday, and wanted for absolutely nothing. Got all that we needed as well as some extras. Some days, more than others, God impresses up on my heart that there are so many in the world that don't have that luxury.


  4. We had a fantastic Thanksgiving feast with Matt's family. It was again held at the ARK, where the kids could run and play to their heart's content. There was a ton of food, fun games, and great conversation. What a blessing.


  5. We were able to hit a couple "Black Friday" sales, with few mishaps. Admittedly, I wasn't out for the steals on toys or electronics - I wanted $9 jeans and $15 winter coats. We found both, so it was all good! Maybe not worth 6 a.m., but still good :)


  6. I am thankful for a cozy, clean, organized house. I am writing this in my new living room, in front of a warm fire, with a new t.v. (thanks Dan & Erinne) going in the background.


  7. I'm so thankful for Stacy Julian and Photo Freedom - my life (at least my scrapbooking life) is about to be changed. Thanks for the push, Darla!


  8. I am grateful for crock-pot beans and cornbread. I'm not sure there's a better Sunday evening dinner on a cold day.


  9. I am thankful for deputies, officers, and troopers who put their lives on the line every day to ensure my safety. Especially in the recent climate, their sacrifice and that of their families is no less than amazing. I am humbled and blessed.


  10. I am thankful for books. I love, love, love to read. I am currently reading one, and have two in a holding pattern - which is pretty normal for me. Yeah for books ;)


  11. I am thankful for the best husband I ever could have imagined. He endured two HUGE shopping trips this weekend, including an early morning Black Friday outing, a craft store, and grocery shopping in two different stores. In each one, he easily recognized that his best help would be keeping the boys distracted. He did a great job. I had almost $150 in coupon and sale savings on our grocery shopping runs - and that only happened because I was able to concentrate. Thanks, honey!


  12. I am thankful for coupons. And sales. And Black Friday, even with all it's craziness.


  13. I have the two greatest boys on earth. They challenge me. They stretch my boundaries of both patience and love - I didn't know I had this much of either one. They make me laugh. They make me cry - but happy tears as often as sad or frustrated ones. I am blessed.

Thank you, Lord. Blessed be Your name.

2 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I love this post, Heather. You're right, even in the midst of tragedy there is always something to be grateful for. I'm glad things are so good in your life.

Miller Family said...

Heather you hit the nail on the head once again. I love that song so much...Ty used to sing it all the time when he was younger and so for Christmas I bought him the cd and you would have thought I bought him a toy store; he loved it. I feel so blessed in so many ways as well and my heart goes out to the families of the fallen officers.