Sunday, August 30, 2009

Lifelong Learners

With all the learning that is happening around this house, I have confidence that we are producing lifelong learners. Possibly skewed a bit toward football and guns, but learners none-the-less.

Here are some of our favorite lessons and accomplishments this week.

Both boys started school. Colt in first grade and Chance in fifth grade.

Chance started practice with his new football team - and the steep learning curve that personifies the first week of football began.

Chance successfully finished his Hunter Education course. And was quick to inform me that he was the only youth hunter to hit two out of 3 clay pigeons at the range.

I am 2/3 of the way (and within 2 years) to an empty house on hunting days.

Colton learned that once a bee has stung someone, even if she is still alive and mad and chasing you, the worst damage she can do is ram into your head repeatedly.

Matt learned that any bee sting on his face, whether actually by his eye or not, swells that eye shut and renders it useless for about 2 days.

Tomorrow, Matt will have to learn a new way to do his current job under the above extreme circumstances.

I learned several new football cadences, which make the game ever so much more fun:
******Blue, 43! Blue, 43! Chance has crusty feet! HIKE!!
******Blue, 42! Blue, 42! Colton's underwear are pink! HIKE!!
******Red, 48! Red, 48! Daddy think his boogers taste great! HIKE!!

I learned that if your cadence is funny enough, your opponent may double-over laughing, allowing you an easy path to the end zone. Brilliant.

I learned anew the 4th commandment, and realized we had not been following it well at all.

I learned our family can REST for a whole day. And that it feels pretty darn good. I guess God pretty much knows what he's talking about, huh? Thanks, Pastor Jody.

I learned that I want to keep on learning.

  • I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was
    yesterday. -Abraham Lincoln

1 comment:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Yup, I've always told you how smart I think you are. Thanks for sharing your secret. It's 'cause you're a lifelong learner, huh?

Oh man, in Matt's line of work, I do hope the eye cooperates soon.

I like the quote "Sunday clears away the rust of the week." I do like it as a day of rest, too.