Monday, August 3, 2009

Lessons Learned (And They Don't Come Cheap)

So, God gave me another good one today.

A la my children, as usual. That seems to be how He teaches me most of the important lessons.

Colton is in an inquisitive stage. Questions about everything. Countries, languages, people, The Statue of Liberty, what's in her torch, what song lyrics mean, what billboards mean, who's Angus Lee, what Mariner is hitting a home run on the Bud Light poster, were there dinosaurs in World War I, etc, etc, etc.

It's incessant.

Often times annoying.

And sometimes, I lose my patience.

We have a thing going in the car on our drive to and from Tina's each day. I have my iPod plugged into the stereo, and we each take turns picking what song we want to hear off the playlist.

Usually, Colton is intent during the songs that he picks. Singing along, or just listening quietly. But, it's rare that he's intent (or quiet) during the songs someone else picks. He'll have questions about what the lyrics mean, what a bumper sticker says on a car going by, or something random he remembers from a tv show that day.

I find myself getting annoyed at the turning down, or pausing, to listen and answer. Especially when I've picked the song. What I really want to do is turn it up, sing along, and just get lost in it.
.
Until God tapped me on the shoulder today.

I'm going to paraphrase what the Holy Spirit whispered inside my head that made me sit up and take notice:

I have a host of heavenly angels singing "Holy, Holy, Holy" in the most beautiful voices you can imagine. No earthly choir could ever compare. They are singing to me. They are singing the song I picked. It happens to be My favorite.

Have I ever, even once, when you were praying to Me, asked you to wait a minute because "this is a really good song and I want to sing along"?


Ever?


No matter how incessant your questions? No matter how many times you ask? Even when I gave you the most thorough Book that answers 99.9% of them?



Yeah, that answer would be never. N.E.V.E.R. And, I'm sorry. That would be appropriate here, too.


What were you saying, Colton? Mommy couldn't quite hear past the still small voice that was giving her a little reminder.


Thanks for being patient, buddy.

2 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

My goodness that was an incredible teaching you were taught today Heather. Thank you so much for passing it on. Truly, thank you for that inspiring thought.

tina said...

Thanks for sharing! What a fabulous lesson. I think it definitely says something terrific about you since you heard the still small voice this time. I have often felt as you did - annoyed - and say too often, "in a minute". Not sure I have heard the Spirit, but I am glad you did and shared with us!