- Jennifer Hull, you must share your banana muffin recipe with the world. I cannot blog again until you do. Thank you, Heather
- Hi Heather, My Mother is in town so in her place she has sent her designated email agent. After 15 minutes on the phone with my mother and her explaining to me which of her 9 million Taste of Home magazines this recipe is in we have finally found it.
- I will recreate the conversation below:
- Mother; "It's in the June/July 2009 magazine"
- Kids; "We don't see it"
- Mother; "Ok, it's in the August/September 2009 magazine"
- Kids; "Not in this one either"
- Mother; "Well it has to be in one of them (after all there are only four years worth of magazines in her kitchen) Oh, wait it's in the special muffin issue magazine!"
- Kids; "Which one is that. Oh yes, here it is. The February/March 2006 issue. Ok we've got it. I'll scan it in and send it to Heather."
- So, finally, here is the banana muffin recipe, which my mother was very surprised was such a hit, although I think that in the Hull Family any type of food is a hit.
Jumbo Caramel Banana Muffins
Taste of Home
TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
Directions: In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg; beat well. Add bananas and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture. Fill paper-lined jumbo muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 23-28 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
For icing, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and milk; bring to a boil. Cool slightly. Whisk in confectioners' sugar. Transfer to a small resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag and drizzle over muffins.