Monday, August 31, 2009
And I will never be the same again.
A nacho so perfect. So well-proportioned. Every ingredient in every bite. Exquisite.
He started with Scoops chips.
Lay them on the plate, bowl facing upward. Keep them close together. Touching each other. They are friends. They will like this. They fit together like a big chippy honeycomb.
Fill each with a dollop of refried beans and a dollop of taco meat.
Top (smother) entire plate with shredded cheese.
Melt in microwave.
Top with your favorites - shredded lettuce, tomatoes, olives, green chiles, sour cream, salsa, guacamole.
Goodness in EVERY. SINGLE. BITE.
No stray chips that missed the cheese or meat.
No glob of meat and beans in the middle of the plate without chips to balance it out.
It is, for my OCD brain, nacho perfection.
Life doesn't get much better. You should try it.
Sunday, August 30, 2009
Here are some of our favorite lessons and accomplishments this week.
Both boys started school. Colt in first grade and Chance in fifth grade.
Chance started practice with his new football team - and the steep learning curve that personifies the first week of football began.
Chance successfully finished his Hunter Education course. And was quick to inform me that he was the only youth hunter to hit two out of 3 clay pigeons at the range.
I am 2/3 of the way (and within 2 years) to an empty house on hunting days.
Colton learned that once a bee has stung someone, even if she is still alive and mad and chasing you, the worst damage she can do is ram into your head repeatedly.
Matt learned that any bee sting on his face, whether actually by his eye or not, swells that eye shut and renders it useless for about 2 days.
Tomorrow, Matt will have to learn a new way to do his current job under the above extreme circumstances.
I learned several new football cadences, which make the game ever so much more fun:
******Blue, 43! Blue, 43! Chance has crusty feet! HIKE!!
******Blue, 42! Blue, 42! Colton's underwear are pink! HIKE!!
******Red, 48! Red, 48! Daddy think his boogers taste great! HIKE!!
I learned that if your cadence is funny enough, your opponent may double-over laughing, allowing you an easy path to the end zone. Brilliant.
I learned anew the 4th commandment, and realized we had not been following it well at all.
I learned our family can REST for a whole day. And that it feels pretty darn good. I guess God pretty much knows what he's talking about, huh? Thanks, Pastor Jody.
I learned that I want to keep on learning.
- I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was
yesterday. -Abraham Lincoln
Thursday, August 27, 2009
Sunday, August 23, 2009
Friday, August 21, 2009
Thursday, August 20, 2009
Wednesday, August 19, 2009
- Jennifer Hull, you must share your banana muffin recipe with the world. I cannot blog again until you do. Thank you, Heather
- Hi Heather, My Mother is in town so in her place she has sent her designated email agent. After 15 minutes on the phone with my mother and her explaining to me which of her 9 million Taste of Home magazines this recipe is in we have finally found it.
- I will recreate the conversation below:
- Mother; "It's in the June/July 2009 magazine"
- Kids; "We don't see it"
- Mother; "Ok, it's in the August/September 2009 magazine"
- Kids; "Not in this one either"
- Mother; "Well it has to be in one of them (after all there are only four years worth of magazines in her kitchen) Oh, wait it's in the special muffin issue magazine!"
- Kids; "Which one is that. Oh yes, here it is. The February/March 2006 issue. Ok we've got it. I'll scan it in and send it to Heather."
- So, finally, here is the banana muffin recipe, which my mother was very surprised was such a hit, although I think that in the Hull Family any type of food is a hit.
Jumbo Caramel Banana Muffins
Taste of Home
TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min. + cooling
1/4 cup shortening
1 cup sugar
1-1/2 cups mashed ripe bananas (about 3 large)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 tablespoons butter
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
Directions: In a small bowl, cream shortening and sugar. Add egg; beat well. Add bananas and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture. Fill paper-lined jumbo muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake at 350° for 23-28 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack to cool completely.
For icing, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in brown sugar and milk; bring to a boil. Cool slightly. Whisk in confectioners' sugar. Transfer to a small resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag and drizzle over muffins.
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
I think the smiles were mostly due to all the great food :)
Bake one box of chocolate fudge brownies according to pkg.
Allow to cool.
2 containers of cool whip
1 bag of Heath bar pieces
2 boxes instant chocolate mousse
-Prepare according to pkg.
Cut up brownies and layer half on bottom of trifle dish
Spread chocolate mousse on top of brownies (one entire pkg.)
Spread cool whip over mousse (one entire container)
Sprinkle ½ bag of Heath pieces over cool whip.
Chill and serve!
Monday, August 17, 2009
- You are a great brother.
- You share many sports interests with your dad - football, baseball, hockey, etc.
- You give your best, no matter what you are doing.
- You are really good at football.
- You have the ability to see something in your mind, and want to create it. You don't stop until you've got exactly the creation you set out to make.
- You try to follow God, and receive and understand Bible lessons, whether at home, church, or school.
- You are really good at baseball.
- You do well playing and sharing with kids of all ages.
- You make time for your grandparents and aunts and uncles. You communicate well with them, and don't think you're too cool to interact with "old folks".
Happy Birthday, son. We are so proud of you, and we love you so much!!
PS - Thanks for choosing chocolate lava cake for your birthday cake - that should have been my #1 thing I love about you, because it was a most excellent choice!