Thursday, May 28, 2009

Remember When - an interactive post


Sun Lakes seems to be my spot of parenting firsts. Last year, Chance's group of friends that we camp with, as the aptly labelled "older group", got to finally experience many freedoms we had not yet let them embark on. Fishing on the dock by themselves. Renting a paddle boat without a parent. Playing board games and watching movies late into the night. Riding to the little store on purchasing errands. It was a big leap for me, and I held myself back from following him on each excursion to make sure he'd be okay.


This year was the year of the great kick the can marathon. They would fish on the dock until dark, and then head back to our cluster of camp sites to play.


Do you remember the first time you had to wait up for your kids?


That time you realized they were growing up before your eyes, and you no longer put them to bed first, but instead longed for the comfort of the bed while you waited for them to finish their day?


Saturday night, we were sitting around in our camp chairs, listening to the joyous laughter that epitomizes children playing. Colton asks to go to bed. ASKS to go to bed. He is beat. He wants me to come to bed, too. But I can't. Not that I don't want to. I'm tired from a fantastic day of friends and fun. But I can't.


I have to wait up for my 9-year-old.


Do you remember the first time you waited up for your child to come "home", whether it was really home or a camp site? Am I the only one feeling melancholy about this next great leap of growing up he is doing??

3 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I don't remember the first time, Heather, but I do love this post of yours. What a good thing to have recorded, especially the way you did.

I swear it is that waiting up that helps you to let them go in another nine or ten years. It's exhausting!

Miller Family said...

I am sooo not ready for this. I think reading your blog is going to help prepare me for all these milestones. YIKES! Ty is 7 1/2 and I can't imagine yet! I love the Sun Lakes, Steamboat rock areas. So pretty!

tina said...

What a fabulous post! Love it. I'm not there yet, but just reading that I can feel the same emotions of "letting go". I am scared already! My oldest is turning 7 this summer; yikes! :)