Saturday, April 18, 2009

What does your mom do?

My mom's retired, so she gets to do whatever she wants. She worked hard to earn that privilege, so I'll work hard not to be too jealous :)

For awhile, she was a stained glass artist. Makes fantastic things for the garden.

The last couple years, she's been a quilter. We have all benefited from this fabulous change of direction. Everyone in our house has their own "blankie", and it's a good thing - we live in a 100 year old house, and for $$ sake, keep the heat between 62 and 68. YIKES!

This year, she decided to become a bag lady.

I'm not one to criticize anyone for their employment choices, as long as they are trying, so I'll not criticize my mom.

Especially when she makes gorgeous creations like these.




You may have seen Darla's post about her bag. She loves it.



It is the perfect Mother's Day gift, teacher gift, friend birthday gift, etc.



Her talent with putting fabrics and colors together makes my scrapbookers heart ache with pride. She is amazing. With most of the bags I see, I want to find paper exactly like what she's put together and make a page immediately!


The bags always have fun little pockets on the inside - not made of plain, cheap, run-of-the-mill fabric. It's still the good stuff. It makes you WANT to have to dig for your keys.





She's taken to sprucing up my reusable shopping bags, too. I have some embellished with Mary Engelbreit, some with the exercise pig that hides on the inside of Darla's bag, and some really cute friends fabric. The ladies at Safeway absolutely love them. Wal-Mart's not so impressed, but I think they're probably overworked and underpaid and too tired to notice the brilliance.


This one's reversible - perfect for anyone heading to the beach or the pool.





This one is a lunch bag. So cute.



So, here's the deal. If you are still struggling with Mother's Day, and upcoming birthday, or an end of the year teacher gift - you can buy one of these bags! She has coined them "Potato Bags", and they sell for $38. Each one is one of a kind - I guarantee no one else will have a bag like yours.



I'm sure she will do requests, too. Just tell her (via me) the colors you like, as well as what you don't (sometimes she sneaks them in on the inside to get a chuckle out of you both), and let her work her magic. These are just a sampling of what I have at my house--she has lots more, so she may already have one made that would strike your fancy if these didn't.

Let me know if you're interested. Even if you don't need one, go ahead and tell her how cool they are in the comments.

Love,
The Bag Lady's Daughter

2 comments:

Darla said...

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE MINE!!!!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

What a great post, bag lady's daughter. And yes! Those bags are absolutely beautiful.

I'll be ordering one before the year is out. Please don't let her quit until I'm ready!

I just love them.