Tuesday, December 23, 2008

No Room


It's December 23rd, and I'm officially done.


Done with anything that doesn't involve a baby and a savior.


Done counting.


Done adding.


Done worrying.


Done planning.


Done stressing.


Done crying.


Done comparing.


Unless you can save me (and that would mean you're Jesus), don't ask.


My friend Todd Agnew once again hits the nail on the head:


No room (The Innkeeper)
by Todd Agnew

from the album Do You See What I See?


There's no room...no room in the inn,

If you were someone important

we might try to fit you in,

but there's no room in here for you.


There's no room...no room to lay your head,

If you were wealthy

we might find you a bed,

but there's no room in here for you.


'Cause I'm cold, and tired of working my whole life away,

Every hand, needing one thing more,

comes knocking at my door,

I got a hundred people calling out my name today,

and you come to my door,

And I can't care no more,

unless you can save me.


There's no room for you and your little lady,

(you and your little lady)

There's a manger in the stable;

should be just fine for your little baby,

There's no room in here, no.


'Cause I'm cold, and tired of working my whole life away,

Every hand, needing one thing more,

comes knocking at my door,

I got a hundred people calling out my name today,

and I can't care no more,

And you come, asking for something for nothing,

What can you give me?

Can you save me?


'Cause I'm cold, and tired of working my whole life away,

Every hand, needing one thing more,

comes knocking at my door,

I got a hundred people screaming out my name,

and I can't care no more,

You come, needing more when I got nothing,

What can you give me?

Can you save me?


Oh, please, little baby, can you save me?

Little baby,Can you save me?


I got nothing left for anything that isn't the CHRIST of Christmas.


Funny, yet sad, that it took me until December 23rd to get there.


How many other things have I tried to fit in this season, that I thought were so important? Effectively telling Jesus I had no room? I can think of very few Christ-like things I have done this Christmas season.


No more. My heart is open. Wide open. There's room for Him.


Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Wow.

Have a wonderful Christmas, Heather. And thank you for being so Christ-like and helping me that Monday night. It was very appreciated and I am grateful you would show such generosity and kindness for a non-emergency. Thank you.