Thursday, November 6, 2008

Whatsoever You Do


It's rice time again. The Rice for Cambodia campaign is in full swing over at Positive Life Radio.


Couple that with a bit of drive time today, and some music courtesy of Monk & Neagle. Twenty First Time, you tear my heart out.


For us, today, that added up to a chance to make a visible, physical difference in some one's life. If you are looking for a donation opportunity that it is a one-time donation, no monthly commitment, but still a long-term impact, then the Rice for Cambodia campaign might be for you.


Every year, a radio station in our area partners with Musicianaries International to bring rice to the drought-ridden regions of Cambodia. Along with the rice, the Cambodians get a copy of the gospel in their language, and a glimpse of the hope that comes from a life lived for Jesus Christ.


It has been the backbone of some great lessons in our family. Like rice night. Which we will repeat either Sunday or Monday this week. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm toying with the idea of doing it more often, but don't tell Matt and the boys - I haven't let them in on my plans yet! You can read about last year's experience here.


If you are interested in feeding a Cambodian family for 4-6 weeks with a donation of $15, go here to make a pledge. If you are feeling flush and want to feed many, many more families (1 Ton worth), go to the same page and pledge $600.


Here's the lyrics to the Monk & Neagle song, Twenty First Time. Although I am already supportive of the Rice for Cambodia campaign, the combination of the two messages had me immediately ready to make a difference.


Check it out:


Nowhere to live, nowhere to fall

he used to have money, but he’s wasted it all.

His face is a photograph burned in my mind,

but I pretend not to see him for the twenty-first time


He sleeps under stars, that’s all he can afford

His blanket's an old coat he’s had since the war

He stands on the corner of Carter and Vine

But I pretend not to see him for the twenty-first time


He may be a drifter, he’s grown old and gray

But what if he’s Jesus and I walk away?

I say I’m the body and drink of the wine

but I pretend not to see him for the twenty-first time


She’s twenty-nine but she feels forty-eight

She can’t raise three kids on minimum wage

She’s cryin’ in back of the welfare line

but I pretend not to see her for the twenty-first time


She may be a stranger tryin’ to get through the day

but what if it’s Jesus and I walk away?

I say I’m the body and drink of the wine

but I pretend not to see her for the twenty-first time


This is a call for a change in my heart

I realize that I’ve not been doin’ my part

when I needed a Savior, I found it in Him

He gave to me, now I’ll give back to them

Drifter or stranger, father or son

I’ll look for Jesus in every one

’cause I am the body and drink of the wine

and I’m thankful there’s more than the twenty-first time


Thanks for listening. Tomorrow, I promise, no causes to support. I'll attempt something light-hearted, funny, and just plain fun. Until then, try some rice for dinner - it'll change your life.

No comments: