Thursday, October 2, 2008

Family Heritage 1






A couple years ago, I made my mom a framed scrapbook page with a favorite charm of hers and some pictures of the Grandma who made the charm famous (in my mom's eyes).






While I was finding pictures, I had to e-mail mom a couple times and make sure I was using pictures of the right lady. The responses were some fun insights into my mom's side of the family, and have been kept in my e-mail for two years, trying to figure out what to do with them.






I'll scrapbook them for myself someday, but thought they'd make interesting blog reading as well.


"Grandma Grant (Emma) always bought that brand of coats (Rothmoor)...when I as about five years old(after I begged and Laura said I would just lose it) she gave me that charm..I was so excited...guess she bought one more coat before she died or Laura had some (mom ended up with two charms)..The coat was quite expensive... she bought them at a nice dress shop in Wenatchee...Grandma always dressed up just to go to Waterville and would wear a pretty hat, gloves and the grandma heels...she always had her hair done and it was in waves around her face. She had big blue eyes and a nice German nose...(rather large) her family only spoke German so she could speak it quite fluently..she was a teacher in Shakopee, Minnesota..in those days the men would go back to school in the winter...especially if the teacher was not married and pretty...Grandpa Grant was courting Grandma and his brother went back to Grandma's school .... Grandpa never did like that brother....maybe that's where we get our stubbornness! Grandpa was an engineer for the railroad and every summer Grandma and the kids would go back to Shakopee and stay with the family.
They traveled a lot because they had free travel...Grandma was quite wealthy and she kept her own money and invested it herself...that was unusual for woman in that era. Grandpa Grant could never understand why Laura would marry Dell and live up in that "dust bowl where the wind blew every day". Back in those days the Catholics had to eat fish on Friday...when Grandpa was traveling he would ask for some odd ball fish and than would eat meat because they didn't have any fish. They lived in Leavenworth first because that was a railroad town...later moved to South Wenatchee....Grandma would always leave food out for the hobos that would come in on the trains."



Things I love about this quote:

  1. That my great-grandpa was smart/sly enough to fool the Friday fish system - I know where my food justification comes from !



  2. That my great-grandma invested her own money and travelled by herself - I know where the strain of independent Grant/Mires women may have begun, and where I got it!



  3. That she knew a Scottie Dog Charm was the best gift she could give a 5-year-old girl, whether it may get lost or not. The value of a treasure, even through the generations, is immeasurable.



  4. That she left food out for the hobos. I'm betting that if the great-grandchild of one of those hobos has a blog, she is possibly recounting the story of great-grandpa hobo, going something like - "I don't know if I would have made it, were it not for one Godly lady that left a meal in my time of greatest need."



Thanks for enduring my desire to write down some family heritage. To help me make sure I share it with my children. To make sure that the great-great grandchildren of hers know the kind of lady she was. Priceless.

1 comment:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

It's so good to hear about your heritage and traits being passed down through the ages.

I'm starting to rethink Colton's thinking. :)