Tuesday, September 23, 2008

This technology stuff is amazing!


So, Chance got his own e-mail last week. I've been dragging my feet, solely because he first started mentioning wanting an e-mail address when they started asking for one on the free game web site where he plays games. At the time, that issue was easier addressed by just saying - you don't have an e-mail, guess you can't play that game.


But, I could bury my head in the sand on the technology issue only so long.


The e-mail bug, it was eminent.


We set down some basic e-mail guidelines appropriate for his young age:


  1. You can only send an e-mail to someone you know.

  2. You can only send an e-mail to someone your dad or I knows.

  3. You cannot enter your name or e-mail address anywhere on the Internet.

  4. You still cannot play games that require you to enter any personal information, including an e-mail address.

  5. If you decide to break any of these rules, you will not use e-mail or the Internet for the rest of your life.

Pretty straightforward, wouldn't you say?


But with all the headaches and hassles I was trying to avoid, I overlooked one very positive thing. I know it's partly the novelty of it all, but he e-mails me almost everyday. Here is a sampling of the little blessings that have come from this monumental step:



  • Have a good day at school!Are we going to go to any stores? Love you!

  • Have a good day!Be good.

  • Have a good day at work.Are (we) going to any stores?I love you!See you after Tina's.

Ahhhh, the little things. Help me never to take them for granted . . .

1 comment:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh Heather, I agree. If the web is channeled correctly, it opens up a great opportunity to strengthen relationships with our kids. I love the e-mails I get from our kids...and my nieces and nephews.