Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My Boy! The latest excerpt from the Jake Chronicles

Okay, remember this guy?


I wrote about him in this post.


He's gotten just a bit bigger.


Like 110 pounds bigger. Yikes!


Last week, as you may have deduced from Chance's prayer, he had a bit of a run-in with a porcupine. Our Tuesday evening was spent at the vet's office. He had to be sedated and stay the night to get all the quills out.


The vet told us that it was likely that he would attack the porcupine again. That you would think they'd learn their lesson, but actually they usually get mad and try to find the varmint again. She warned me that we would probably be back soon if we couldn't keep him fenced in. Yeah, just what I was thinking - FABULOUS!


Thursday we come home looking for Jake in anticipation. No quills. Thank goodness. A sigh (or two) of relief is breathed.


Friday evening, Matt gets home before me. He calls me at work approximately 33 seconds after driving in the driveway.


"I'll give you one guess about how stupid your dog is today."


Insert - Matt and Jake have a bit of a love/hate relationship. Jake loves to drive Matt crazy, and Matt just plain hates Jake. At least until it's time to feed the cows, and he needs his "cow dog" with him. Or he doesn't want to work in the shop alone late at night, so he needs his "shop dog" with him.


On this day, however, it appears the "shop dog" and "cow dog" have given way to mentally challenged dog. He'd found the porcupine again. Only 3 or 4 quills this time, which Matt was able to pull out. So, I'm hoping he learned his lesson. Hoping . . .


I get home, and we are packing up the camper for a long weekend. I am barely out of my car when Matt beckons me to where he is, asking if I want the good news first or the bad news.


I hate the bad news. Every. Time.


So I ask for the good news.


He gives me the bad news anyway.


The porcupine will not live to quill another curious pup. Because, here's the good news . . .


Jake's my boy!


Check out what my dog did!


He's amazing!


He's superdog!


What a guy!


What could cause my Jake-hating husband to expound such expletives? You guessed it - Jake won the porcupine fight. And deposited the dead carcass on the back porch for us to witness and bear testimony.


Clearly, Jake's the man!! Errrr, Jake's the dog. Whatever.

3 comments:

Ande Payne said...

Heather this post reminds me of Simon Birch when he sees the huge dog and says "Ah! It's a horse!" What a fun and good dog to have. And yes...Ray needed to be out of the closet. Silly Cali and Mom. Thanks for always commenting on my blog!

Miller Family said...

WOW! Way to go Jake. Aren't dogs the best? I am glad to hear he came out okay in the end. Also, I think deep down Matt really cares for the dog. He just probably won't admit that to you. A Guy Thing maybe? Michelle

tina said...

What a funny story! You crack me up!!! Your hubby sounds so classic!