Friday, September 26, 2008

Favorite Ingredient Friday - Cornbread



Okay, I'm re-posting this recipe, but I figure it's okay since it's been since June of 2007, and we all need the reminder. As we head into the fall months, this is the perfect bread to go with your chili, stews, soups, etc. There is never a piece leftover when I take it somewhere. It's just plain good, and it's just plain easy.


It's pretty much cheater cornbread, so if you are a cornbread purist, please stop reading now. This is a relatively sweet bread. Perfect with just butter. Not too sweet that you can't add a bit of honey to it. Give it a try.


Cornbread


I stole this recipe from another blogger, but now I cannot remember whose it was to give proper credit. 2007 was a long time ago. If you are reading, I'm sorry - because you have surely changed cornbread for my family, and we are so very grateful ;-)


2 boxes Jiffy Cornbread Mix

1 box Pound Cake


Mix all mixes, plus all ingredients listed on the box to make them in one big bowl - I think you end up with like a zillion eggs, some oil, and some milk/water.


If you are trying to please Matt, you will add a can of cream corn in there somewhere, or even just a can of whole corn. If you are like me, and believe whole corn doesn't belong in cornbread anymore than whole, slimy slices of banana belong in banana bread, then just stick to the basics.


Pour into greased 9 x 13. Bake at 350* for 40 minutes.


Head over to Overwhelmed with Joy for more bread recipes today.

3 comments:

Eleisia said...

Our family loves cornbread especially during the fall and winter. I like my cornbread slightly sweet too and without kernels of corn! This would probably taste similar to Marie Callendar cornbread.

~TAMY 3 Sides of Crazy~ said...

LOL sounds good. I make one similar, but different! Cheater breads work!!

Overwhelmed! said...

Yum! I don't mind that it's a cheater cornbread recipe. :)

Thanks for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday- Bread Edition recipe exchange! I do appreciate it.