My good friend and neighbor, Neighbor Jane Payne, used her 200th newsletter to challenge us with a list of 200 things - we are to bold (and maybe expand on) the ones we have done. In reading others, I think that what you haven't bolded speaks almost as much as what you have! Congrats, Neighbor Jane, I love your newsletter!
1. Touched an iceberg
2. Slept under the stars - ahh, the joys of sleeping outside.
3. Been a part of a hockey fight
4. Changed a baby's diaper - more than I can count.
5. Watched a meteor shower
6. Given more than you can afford to charity - never seems like more than I could afford once it's done, though.
7. Swam with wild dolphins
8. Climbed a mountain
9. Held a tarantula
10. Said "I love you" and meant it - Everyday
11. Bungee jumped
12. Visited Paris
13. Watched a lightning storm at sea
14. Stayed up all night long and watched the sun rise - ACS Vertical Challenge - what a fun night!
15. Seen the Northern Lights
16. Gone to a huge sports game - I'm assuming NCAA playoff basketball counts here.
17. Walked the stairs to the top of the Statue of Liberty
18. Grown and eaten your own vegetables
19. Looked up at the night sky through a telescope - I'm really terrible at it, though - if I can find the moon, we're doing great
20. Had an uncontrollable giggling fit at the worst possible moment
21. Had a pillow fight
22. Bet on a winning horse
23. Taken a sick day when you're not ill - don't all sickdays once your a parent come only when your kid is sick?
24. Built a snow fort - When Carl ran the snow plow, there was always a massive snowpile at the end of main street to make fabulous forts.
25. Held a lamb
26. Gone skinny dipping
27. Taken an ice cold bath - in the creek.
28. Had a meaningful conversation with a beggar
29. Seen a total eclipse - Our shop teacher let us take the welding helmets out and check it out.
30. Ridden a roller coaster
31. Hit a home run
32. Danced like a fool and not cared who was looking
33. Adopted an accent for fun - Do chicks sound better with an accent the way guys do??
34. Visited the birthplace of your ancestors
35. Felt very happy about your life, even for just a moment - I'm there.
36. Loved your job 90% of the time
37. Had enough money to be truly satisfied - If you're not already there, more money ain't gonna do it.
38. Watched wild whales
39. Gone rock climbing
40. Gone on a midnight walk on the beach
41. Gone sky diving
42. Visited Ireland
43. Ever bought a stranger a meal at a restaurant
44. Visited India
45. Bench-pressed your own weight
46. Milked a cow - 1st grade field trip.
47. Alphabetized your personal files - my life is alphabetized
48. Ever worn a superhero costume - if Underoos count.
49. Sung karaoke
50. Lounged around in bed all day
51. Gone scuba diving
52. Kissed in the rain
53. Played in the mud
54. Gone to a drive-in theater
55. Done something you should regret, but don't
56. Visited the Great Wall of China
57. Started a business - actually, I think we started a hobby and ended up with a business :)
58. Taken a martial arts class
59. Been in a movie
60. Gone without food for 3 days
61. Made cookies from scratch - although not enough - Colton thinks they come from a tube or a tub.
62. Won first prize in a costume contest
63. Got flowers for no reason - I have a fabulous husband.
64. Been in a combat zone
65. Spoken more than one language fluently
66. Gotten into a fight while attempting to defend someone - verbal only
67. Bounced a check
68. Read - and understood - your credit report
69. Recently bought and played with a favorite childhood toy
70. Found out something significant that your ancestors did - cause winning the family farm in a poker game is significant
71. Called or written your Congress person
72. Picked up and moved to another city to just start over
73. Walked the Golden Gate Bridge
74. Helped an animal give birth
75. Been fired or laid off from a job
76. Won money
77. Broken a bone
78. Ridden a motorcycle
79. Driven any land vehicle at a speed of greater than 100 mph
80. Hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon
81. Slept through an entire flight: takeoff, flight, and landing - on the way back from Washington DC my senior year. I was on the outside of the middle section, and slept through a lady climbing over me and then back again after going to the bathroom.
82. Taken a canoe trip that lasted more than 2 days
83. Eaten sushi - never thought this one would happen.
84. Had your picture in the newspaper
85. Read The Bible cover to cover
86. Changed someone's mind about something you care deeply about
87. Gotten someone fired for their actions
88. Gone back to school
89. Changed your name
90. Caught a fly in the air with your bare hands
91. Eaten fried green tomatoes
92. Read The Iliad
93. Taught yourself an art from scratch
94. Killed and prepared an animal for eating
95. Apologized to someone years after inflicting the hurt
96. Communicated with someone without sharing a common spoken language
97. Been elected to public office
98. Thought to yourself that you're living your dream
99. Had to put someone you love into hospice care
100. Sold your own artwork to someone who didn't know you - see below.
101. Had a booth at a street fair - see above.
102. Dyed your hair
103. Been a DJ
104. Rocked a baby to sleep - one of life's greatest pleasures.
105. Ever dropped a cat from a high place to see if it really lands on all four
106. Raked your carpet
107. Brought out the best in people - I can only hope.
108. Brought out the worst in people - unfortunately, I'm sure I have.
109. Worn a mood ring
110. Ridden a horse
111. Carved an animal from a piece of wood or bar of soap
112. Cooked a dish where four people asked for the recipe
113. Buried a child
114. Gone to a Broadway (or equivalent to your country) play
115. Been inside the pyramids
116. Shot a basketball into a basket - a couple.
117. Danced at a disco
118. Played in a band
119. Shot a bird
120. Gone to an arboretum
121. Tutored someone
122. Ridden a train
123. Brought an old fad back into style
124. Eaten caviar
125. Let a salesman talk you into something you didn’t need - isn't that their job?
126. Ridden a giraffe or elephant - I think there are some pics in my dad's archive of this happening at a circus. I hope I'm not lying.
127. Published a book
128. Pieced a quilt
129. Lived in an historic place
130. Acted in a play or performed on a stage
131. Asked for a raise - a significant raise - the counter-offer was a quarter. Lessons learned, lessons learned.
132. Made a hole-in-one
133. Gone deep sea fishing
134. Gone roller skating
135. Run a marathon
136. Learned to surf
137. Invented something
138. Flown first class - by accident - they overbooked the plane.
139. Spent the night in a 5-star luxury suite
140. Flown in a helicopter
141. Visited Africa
142. Sang a solo
143. Gone spelunking
144. Learned how to take a compliment - a work in progress
145. Written a love-story
146. Seen Michelangelo’s David
147. Had your portrait painted
148. Written a fan letter - probably to NKOTB
149. Spent the night in something haunted - at least, my friend said it was haunted. Not really sure.
150. Owned a St. Bernard or Great Dane - 1/2 Great Dane, 1/2 Camel.
151. Ran away
152. Learned to juggle
153. Been a boss
154. Sat on a jury
155. Lied about your weight
156. Gone on a diet
157. Found an arrowhead or a gold nugget
158. Written a poem
159. Carried your lunch in a lunchbox
160. Gotten food poisoning
161. Gone on a service, humanitarian or religious mission
162. Hiked the Grand Canyon
163. Sat on a park bench and fed the ducks - or on the pier bench and fed the seagulls
164. Gone to the opera
165. Gotten a letter from someone famous
166. Worn knickers - with leg-warmers!
167. Ridden in a limousine
168. Attended the Olympics
169. Can hula or waltz
170. Read a half dozen Nancy Drew or Hardy Boys books
171. Been stuck in an elevator
172. Had a revelatory dream
173. Thought you might crash in an airplane
174. Had a song dedicated to you on the radio or at a concert
175. Saved someone’s life
176. Eaten raw whale
177. Know how to tat, smock or do needlepoint
178. Laughed till your side hurt
179. Straddled the equator
180. Taken a photograph of something other than people that is worth framing
181. Gone to a Shakespeare Festival
182. Sent a message in a bottle - This was how we got rid of Chance's baby bottle.
183. Spent the night in a hostel
184. Been a cashier - Oh, I can count back change with the best of them.
185. Seen Old Faithful geyser erupt
186. Joined a union
187. Donated blood or plasma
188. Built a campfire
189. Kept a blog
190. Had hives
191. Worn custom made shoes or boots
192. Made a PowerPoint presentation
193. Taken a Hunter’s Safety Course
194. Served at a soup kitchen
195. Conquered the Rubik’s cube
196. Know CPR
197. Ridden in or owned a convertible - ahhh, the gold old days, right Matt?
198. Found a long lost friend
199. Helped solve a crime
200. Responded to a NJP newsletter
Great idea, Jane! Let's see some of yours, you lurkers out there . . .