Thursday, May 29, 2008

Wii are getting Fit around our house

As briefly mentioned in a previous post, this is the chick that's kicking my butt this week:

She looks pretty harmless, don't you think? Don't let her fool you - that electronic little body can stretch into Yoga gyrations never known to modern man - and she expects you to be able to do so as well, all while measuring your "steadiness" and "balance" and "core muscle strength".

If you haven't seen the game yet, I'm talking about Wii Fit, the latest brainstorm from Nintendo that will have parents buying their kids a video game system so they can skip the gym payment each month. It's awesome. There are over 140 different activities you can do, in 5 categories - Strength Training, Yoga, Aerobic, Balance, and Favorites.

I believe this is the sorest I've been since college basketball days - if you take the time to do it, it's a really good workout!

It is a bit disconcerting on the first day, as it measures your weight, BMI, and balancing abilities. Then, it plumps up your Mii accordingly. :(

It keeps track of all the scores in the different activities, so you have a little family competition going on as well. The boys haven't played another game since we got it.

For the record, I am the MASTER at Running In Place, Basic and Advanced Step Aerobics, and Super Hula Hoop - let's just not talk about Slalom Ski, Ski Jumping, or Penguin Balance Board, or Tightrope walking.

Check it out if you have a minute - I guarantee it's worth the three months gym membership.

3 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

This sounds fun...really fun.

tina said...

Although it hasn't happened recently, I had been getting quite a few hints from my husband that we should get a Wii. I had been trying to avoid it for a while - thinking the price will come down. This, though, seems like it would be worth while. We've played bowling and boxing. Those are quite the work out, too!

Cali said...

Heather,

I did a similar thing on a Wii game, except it had me do some sports and it tested how athletic I am. According to it I'm as athletic as a 68 year old. This 68 year old is ready to take on that yoga lady. I'm thinking I'll buy us a wii just to watch my parents. Believe it or not, Neighbor Jane used to Billy TaeBo. I'd like to watch that again.

Cali