Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Shhhhhhhhh . . . . . . . bats!

Well, it's been quite a morning. I thought I was just an ordinary gal - Super Mom, maybe, but definitely not a Super HERO! Until this morning.


Apparently, I am . . .







This is the only explanation I can think of that THIS GUY . . .

. . . could possibly be comfortable crawling around in the truck, nonchalantly crawling up out from under my coat while I was trying to DRIVE, and perching himself right on top of the cutest cake in the world that I made for my son's birthday party tonight. That's what this post was supposed to be about - the cutest cake in the world made for Colton's birthday party - instead it's about BATS.

Scary, freaky, crawly, gross, FRICKIN' BATS that would dare to think they could cohabitate with me in my vehicle.

And, if I was still cranky, it would be about husbands who think I am not smart enough to know a bat from a large fly when it slowly crawls up the passenger seat and perches itself on top of the cutest birthday cake in the world. But, I am slow to anger, or I won't let the sun go down on my anger, or I'm turning the other cheek, or something else that sounds very biblical and holy and completely opposite of what is actually raging inside my stomach and causing me to eat the rest of the box of Sugar Babies that helped decorate the cutest birthday cake in the world.

I'm thinking Calvin & Cali & Ande would have caught the thing, studied him, and let Jane take a bundle of pictures for her blog. And, frankly, this is what I would hope my next bat experience might be - me, looking at pictures on Jane's blog, of Calvin & Ande & Cali studying this most interesting creature. (Ande, do you notice that if you had a blog, your name would be a little linky thing instead of just plain old, regular text??)

More on the cute cake later - my stomach is still in knots . . .

PS - thanks for saving me, Tom. My truck is still across the street at the shop being exterminated. Guess there are some perks to working for a chemical company :-)

PPS - Thanks for the Batman Bubble Bath, Jay. Sarcasm and humor always make these types of situations better, and I'm sure it will help me to really relax once I get home tonight.

What do you guys think about bats?? Love 'em, hate 'em, give you the creeps?????

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, you can't just stop there!
You hafta tell us what Colton said and what Chance said and what Colton said.............
And what you did with the little bat... or did you toss it with the cake out the window.... I can just hear Colton now...
And you asked what we thought of them - you asked - actually, they're harmless and they eat about three times their weight in bugs EVERY NIGHT! Which is good around a farm and animals. Some people actually make bat houses to hang in trees to encourage them into their gardens because they are a good organic way to control garden pests - but I guess that probably won't happen any time soon based on what you've written.... I'd also say I think they're cute, but I don't think you'd hear me because I think you're still freaking out!
And then, what did Colton say?!
Did you only get one picture?
And, how come you get all the fun....
Verna

Cynthia said...

EWWWW!!!! I would totally have jumped out the car, flap around like a crazy person, getting all the imaginary bats off me and then call my husband home to take care of the darn thing. What happened to the cake? Was it covered or did the varmit ruin it?

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

OHHHHH HEATHER! That is awful. Completely and terribly awful, but I did laugh at your post of it, being all biblical and stuff! Oh, ho. That was a funny post. However, I'm feeling a little like you wrote something on lice...I just feel like I need to look under my chair or shake my jacket before I put it on.

Yes...yes...do tell, what happened to the cake. And the boys. I think we know Matt's response, but what about Colton and Chance?

Donna Chapin said...

Oh my gosh - Heather!! I would totally freak out and probably end up having an accident.
One time I was out at night and wondering what birds would be flying at night?? They were bats and I promptly went inside!

I can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

Anonymous said...

So there she was driving down the road VROOM! When, "Holy tall tails Batman", a bat jumped on the seat KAPOOW! You let out a scream AAAAAAA! and stomped BOOM on the breaks. The truck came to a stop SKREEECH. Out the window the cake went KERPLUNK, out the door Heather went AAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

All together now, na na nana na na nana BATMAN (Woman)!

To bad I didn't get to see the cool black tights, sassy knee high boots or the mask with little bat ears! Don't worry though, your still my superhero!

P.S. Did the extermination come with a good vacuuming?

Cali said...

Heather,

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha! (two lines worth) I about died reading this. Died because I swear my imagination just recreated him crawling out your coat, perching upon the cutest cake in the world, and you being questioned as to whether it was really a large fly. This deserves another line worth:
ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

A comment like this "Too bad I didn't get to see the cool black tights, sassy knee high boots or the mask with little bat ears! Don't worry though, your still my superhero!" makes the experience worth it, don't you think Heather?!