Thursday, May 22, 2008

He's coming - and He's gonna surprise ya

The unquestioning faith of my children never ceases to amaze me. Faith in God, faith in their parents, their family, their friends - they have no question that things will turn out as they are meant to be. I envy that.

A couple weeks ago, Matt was out of town for some training, and had to miss a couple baseball games. He was to be back in town on Wednesday, but not until late in the evening.

On our way to the game on Wednesday night, Chance asked, "Is daddy going to be at my game this time?"

"He's not going to make it back in time, bud."

"Are you sure? He said he might make it back."

"I'm sure - he told me he'd call when they left Seattle. He hasn't even called yet, and Seattle is a few hours away - there's no way he could get here in time."

Silence. Then, a quiet but confident voice.

"He's coming, mom. My dad will be at my game - I know he will. He's just gonna surprise us."

Instead of the unbridled optimism I am so envious of, my heart had two very different things going on:

Cynicism - He is still at least 3 hours away - there is NO WAY he can catch even the tail end of the game.

Guarded - Don't get your hopes up, Chance - I don't want to have to turn tricks to get your attitude back so you can concentrate on baseball once you realize you are wrong.

Now, here is where I must insert - EMPHATICALLY - that Matt is a fabulous dad. This training is the only time he's missed a game or practice. He is so present in their everyday activities, and does a great job of supporting them in all of their endeavors. My cynicism did not come from past disappointments from Matt - it came from a hard heart that didn't want to pick up the pieces.

I'm sure you can guess what's coming next - at least, if you've seen enough chick flicks and read enough romance novels.

I got a call about 20 minutes before the game from Matt - "Which field are we at, so I know where to park? I'm just pulling up now . . ."

Chance was right. And, I thank him for the lesson.

We have a Father in heaven that promises to be wherever we are, whenever we ask. How many times have I allowed my cynicism of the moment to quiet my voice, when I really should have been saying - "My Father is coming. I know it. Better yet, He's here."

We have a Savior, poised and ready, to triumphantly return to this earth - just waiting for the nod from His Father. How many times have I allowed my guard to creep up, and not talked about my Savior, before it's too late?

Your Father is here - He's just waiting for you to notice.

Your Savior is coming - soon - you can bet on it - and He's gonna surprise ya.

Thank you, Lord.

2 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh wow, Heather. This is really good. Really good. I appreciate the lesson.

I'm still thinking about that over-the-top-cute cake, too.

tina said...

What a great story! Thanks for sharing!