Wednesday, May 21, 2008

A bit anti-climactic

After my ranting and raving yesterday, the pictures of the cake don't seem quite as wonderful as I made them out to be. It's cute, but may not actually be the "cutest cake in the world". To make up for this, I'll also include a few pictures of the bestest, horse riding-est, fun birthday party in the world from yesterday afternoon. That oughta make up for any shortcomings . . .
The requested "Construction Theme" cake that Colton saw at Safeway for $28. I knew I could do it just as well, cheaper, and with real tractors that wouldn't fall apart after the first round in the dirt. Colton wasn't so sure - he requested that I at least buy the "map" from Safeway, so I'd know just how to make it. I told him they let me get it on the Internet. Which, by the way, if you are looking for neat kid cake ideas, check out coolest-birthday-cakes.com - it's a fabulous site with pictures and instructions for fun birthday cakes.

The kids had to practice being both the horse and the rider, so they would know what to do with the reins when they were actually riding. Some of them really took to this game, some of them really didn't like the idea of being reined in, and were pretty obnoxious little ponies!!


Colton gets some instruction from Miss Tereesa before leading his horse to the steps and hopping on.

Chance and Colton, atop their trusty four-legged friends. They both had a ball. Chance wants to do his birthday party here, on the condition that since he's bringing an "older crowd" they can graduate to the running part - because actually, all that walking got a little "borrringggg."

Here's the first group of riders right before they dismounted. I think they all had a great time. Thanks, JT Ranch - we had a great day!!

2 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Thanks for the link, Heather. I think your cake is great...really, really great and not in the least anti-climatic.

Cynthia said...

Hey! Thanks for putting the link up for horseback riding. I think we'll do that for one of the kids' birthdays! Love the cake! Homemade are always so good!