Monday, April 21, 2008

Beekeeping, and other dangerous boy exploits


Those are my boys.
`
Notice the box - FULL of a new hive of bees.
`
Notice, if you can, the bees from the existing hive swarming around them.
`
Okay, maybe they are no swarming, but there are a LOT of bees flying around.
`
And my boys, they are not screaming, shrieking, or running like their sissy mom would.
`
They are learning.
`
And I think this is so cool.
`
And, lest you think I am a mean mom - Colton and Chance switch off who gets to wear the youth-sized bee suit and who gets to be the geek with their socks outside their sweats. I know, you are worried that the one who gets the bee suit will be insanely jealous of the one wearing the geeky socks - and it's true - but they handle it so well.
`
Youth bee suits are about $100, and I am afraid the novelty may wear off before I get my money's worth out of two of them.
`
Even though some grandparents would argue that with these pictures, I probably have already gotten my money's worth.
`
Notice Matt's exposed neck.
`
A good wife would have abandoned her picture taking post (thank you zoom lens) and gotten the Epi-pen ready.
`
Unfortunately, I am more of a scrapbook wife than a good wife - I decided if he wasn't going to wear his suit, he could be responsible for any possibly life-threatening stings.
`
Compassionate, aren't I??
`
I gotta admit, I can't watch them work the bees without thinking of My Girl.
`
Then I have to immediately stop, because I do have a great imagination, and we are halfway to town in the ambulance (in my head) before Matt can convince me the boys are laughing and playing, not screaming in pain because they were stung by an angry swarm of African killer bees.
`
And, I put such thought out of my mind because I love honey. Especially honey that my boys "manufactured".
`
Hopefully, now that there are two hives, we'll have lots of honey.
`
Because last time we harvested . . . .
`
. . . we only got 9 gallons.

1 comment:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Heather, I had no idea you were bee-keepers. That is SO cool. Calvin did that growing up and I so wish he'd have passed it on, but no way, no how. He must have worn the sweats and socks version too long.