Friday, March 21, 2008

Favorite Ingredients Friday - Easter Edition



Last week, Verna told me about a salad she had taken to a church function that was fabulous! She got the recipe from my favorite, Paula Deen. Because of some pretty significant food aversions in our family (mine to onions, Matt's to bananas, all boys to any kind of nuts), I changed some details of the recipe, but think I still stuck to the main overall theme. It turned out great! So, below I'll post my version of the salad, and give you the link to Paula's version here. You get the best of both worlds!




Cornucopia Salad

1 head/bundle/whatever Green Leaf or Red Leaf Lettuce - or 1/2 of each!
1/2 cup diced pepper - I used yellow and orange
1/2 cup diced celery - yes, mom, I put celery in a salad!!
2 carrots, peeled and diced
1 cup peas - still frozen
1 can Water chestnuts, sliced
3 apples, peeled & diced, and tossed in lemon juice (I was so trendy here, I used 3 varieties ;-)
3/4 cup raisins

*
1 cup grated Cheddar Cheese - I used Kraft 2%
10-12 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled

Dressing
2 cups Mayonnaise (I used light/reduced fat)
1/4 cup Sugar (I used Splenda - somehow this makes up for the 15 slices of bacon)
2-3 T Red Wine Vinegar


In a large rectangular dish, layer salad ingredients in the order listed, stopping after the raisins. Mix dressing ingredients and let stand for 5 minutes. Spread dressing over entire top of salad, covering it completely. Sprinkle cheese, and bacon over salad. Refrigerate for 3 to 4 hours before serving.


Head over to Overwhelmed with Joy today to get more recipes that will put your Easter Day celebration over the top!

3 comments:

Eleisia said...

This salad sounds yummy. It's a little like a layered vegetable salad with a few different ingredients.

Betsy said...

Sounds delish!

Overwhelmed! said...

Oooh, I like the sounds of this! I'm always looking for good salad recipes.

Thanks for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday- Easter Edition II recipe exchange. I sure do appreciate it!