Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Comfort Food

So, my friend Jane did a blog about Comfort Food yesterday - listing it as one of her 52 blessings for the year. She didn't throw out a meme or anything, but asked her readers to leave their comfort foods in the comments. Well, it got me thinking, and comfort food has played such a role in my life - brings back many memories. I thought it was worth a post of its own!

My top comfort foods (in no particular order):
  1. My mom's chili - a Sunday afternoon favorite.
  2. My mom's cookies - not picky on variety. (okay so I'll insert here - these will all be my mom's recipes, unless otherwise noted. She is the most fantastic cook. Then, I can save on the typing as we go)
  3. Macaroni salad - especially the next day.
  4. Lasagna - especially the next day.
  5. Pumpkin Pie for day-after-Thanksgiving breakfast.
  6. Ski Hill Hoagies - the famous sandwiches my mom used to make out of a whole loaf of French bread and send with us for nourishment at the ski hill. Don't know if it's the hoagie or the atmosphere, but I've never been able to duplicate that sandwich!
  7. Oatmeal Cake - 'nuff said.
  8. Scalloped Potatoes - Extra cheesy, big chunks of ham, so, so good!
  9. Banana Bread or Zucchini Bread
  10. Chicken Enchiladas
  11. Pre-mixed Peanut Butter & Honey (that's taken on a whole new level of comfort with Matt's honey!)
  12. Rice with cinnamon, sugar, & milk.
  13. Matt's smoked pork loin.
  14. Matt's creme brulee.
  15. Mississippi Sin Dip, a la Big Mama, is my newest entry. It has yet to survive the course of time, but I think it's got the gumption (or the fat grams) to make it!

And now, I am just going to stop. Not because I've run out of comfort foods, but because it is becoming infinitely clear why I participate in the Biggest Loser contest at work each year. That said, this list is by no means exhaustive, and if I have forgotten something important that I told you I really, really like - please continue to make it, and know that even if it didn't make the list, you are still providing me with unheard of levels of comfort ;-)

So, now I want to hear from you! Either in the comments or your own blog post. I'm so curious to know if Cali's foods will be similar to Jane's. And I know Darla can come up with a good list! Someone, please, match 15 entries, and make me feel better!!!

1 comment:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh gee. I want to add more to mine after reading yours...I forgot

cookies
Macaroni salad
Lasagna
Pumpkin Pie
Ski Hill Hoagies (if they're anything like the warm bologna sandwiches with warm wilted lettuce that we had when we were on cattle drives...the thought of purposely making them that way makes the ecoli crawl up my neck...but somehow it just spelled comfort to eat those sandwiches after a long day of riding..oh...we'd put a few potato chips in them to make it seem like the lettuce was still crisp, too)
Oatmeal Cake
Scalloped Potatoes (potato in any form really)
Chicken Enchiladas
Rice with (raisins), sugar, & milk.

And I'd really like to try Matt's smoked pork loin and creme brulee.

Who knew, Heather?