My top comfort foods (in no particular order):
- My mom's chili - a Sunday afternoon favorite.
- My mom's cookies - not picky on variety. (okay so I'll insert here - these will all be my mom's recipes, unless otherwise noted. She is the most fantastic cook. Then, I can save on the typing as we go)
- Macaroni salad - especially the next day.
- Lasagna - especially the next day.
- Pumpkin Pie for day-after-Thanksgiving breakfast.
- Ski Hill Hoagies - the famous sandwiches my mom used to make out of a whole loaf of French bread and send with us for nourishment at the ski hill. Don't know if it's the hoagie or the atmosphere, but I've never been able to duplicate that sandwich!
- Oatmeal Cake - 'nuff said.
- Scalloped Potatoes - Extra cheesy, big chunks of ham, so, so good!
- Banana Bread or Zucchini Bread
- Chicken Enchiladas
- Pre-mixed Peanut Butter & Honey (that's taken on a whole new level of comfort with Matt's honey!)
- Rice with cinnamon, sugar, & milk.
- Matt's smoked pork loin.
- Matt's creme brulee.
- Mississippi Sin Dip, a la Big Mama, is my newest entry. It has yet to survive the course of time, but I think it's got the gumption (or the fat grams) to make it!
And now, I am just going to stop. Not because I've run out of comfort foods, but because it is becoming infinitely clear why I participate in the Biggest Loser contest at work each year. That said, this list is by no means exhaustive, and if I have forgotten something important that I told you I really, really like - please continue to make it, and know that even if it didn't make the list, you are still providing me with unheard of levels of comfort ;-)
So, now I want to hear from you! Either in the comments or your own blog post. I'm so curious to know if Cali's foods will be similar to Jane's. And I know Darla can come up with a good list! Someone, please, match 15 entries, and make me feel better!!!