Friday, February 15, 2008

Favorite Ingredient Friday - Coconut Shrimp


I had these shrimp at Red Lobster last weekend. Yummy! In my quest to find the recipe, I ran across this one at Robbie's Recipe Collection. We had it as part of our Valentine's dinner last night, and it did not disappoint! Matt added a fabulous grilled steak and steamed crab legs to the fare - I also came in with sourdough bread with oil & vinegar for dipping. What a feast! I'm with Neighbor Jane Payne - I'd rather skip the crowds on Valentine's night, and make myself the same (or better) meal for 1/2 the price!
Coconut Shrimp with Pina Colada Sauce
Serves 4-6
Prep Time 35 minutes
1 1/2 cups Corn Starch - divided
2 cups Plain Bread Crumbs
2 cups Sweetened Coconut Flakes
1 1/2 cups liquid Pina Colada Drink Mix - divided
2 T Powdered Sugar
1/3 cup Spiced Rum
1 # Raw Jumbo Shrimp - peeled, deveined, butterflied
1/3 cup Sour Cream
1/3 cup Crushed Pineapple - drained
-Place 1 cup corn starch in a bowl; set aside.
-Combine bread crumbs, 1/2 cup corn starch, and coconut flakes in a separate bowl; set aside.
-Combine 1 cup pina colada mix, powdered sugar, and rum in a separate bowl; set aside.
-Coat shrimp in corn starch, then dip in pina colada mixture, then in coconut mixture, back into pina colada mixture, and finally into the coconut mixture again. Wow - that's alotta dipping!
-Carefully drop each coated shrimp into 375* oil, fry until golden brown, and drain on paper bags.
-To make dipping sauce, combine 1/2 cup pina colada mix, sour cream, and pineapple.
-ENJOY!
Please head over to Overwhelmed with Joy for more great Friday recipes.

3 comments:

Renee's Reading Corner said...

I agree with you- I'd rather make a great meal at home and have a nice time without the crowds! Wonderful recipe. Thanks for sharing!

Renee'
http://rmboys2.wordpress.com/

Kathleen Marie said...

Oh my....this is so awesome. This is my favorite at Red Lobster, aside from the lobster. Thanks so much!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh boy, this looks incredible. I'm so glad we have the same tastes! You make finding good recipes a cinch.