Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I made it!!!

Oh my, what a drive. Sometime between last night's post, and this update, God eased up on the snow, the WADOT cleared the roads, and the pass was open for about 4 hours.

For the most part, people were pretty smart about their driving. Chains were required on everything that didn't have 4-wheel-drive, and on all trucks over 10,000#. So, before the checkpoint, there was about 3-4 miles of solid trucks and cars on the shoulder chaining up for the journey. Thankfully, the vehicle I was in was 4WD, so I hit the button and chugged along past the checkpoint.

The next 20 miles were at about 30-35 mph, with the constant chink, chink, chink of the truck's chains beside you keeping you company. That, and Spirit 105.3, the station out of Seattle that I listened to until it was so fuzzy I couldn't hear myself think. When you're praying every 30 seconds anyway, it is very comforting to have some praise music going in the background.

Once I got down the other side, there were 4+ miles of cars and trucks on the other side of the road, waiting to go west toward Seattle. Approximately 1-1.5 hours after I crossed, another snow slide fell on the road, covering two cars. I probably saw those two cars in this line - scary that I was that close. Praise the Lord that the 4 people in those cars are all okay. What an aweful experience . . .

So, here is the update. There are many folks dependent on this pass for transportation of goods, people, etc. Many separated from their families that need your prayers.

  • Snoqualmie Pass I-901/30/2008 11:16:22
  • Restrictions Eastbound:Pass Closed
  • Restrictions Westbound:Pass Closed
  • Conditions:Snoqualmie Pass remains closed due to extreme winter conditions from milepost 34 near North Bend to milepost 106 near Ellensburg. The pass will remain closed for at least the next 24 hours. Due to wet, heavier snow, the avalanche threat has increased. Friday, Feb. 1, at 9 a.m. is the earliest WSDOT will be able to assess the effects of this storm and our ability to reopen the pass. WSDOT will continue to update the Web page with the most current information about the conditions on the pass.
  • Weather:Snowing with areas of poor visibility

1 comment:

Darla said...

I'm so glad you made it home safely.. I know you didn't think I was worried but I was.... Next time I vote you fly...