Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Amid the Hustle & Bustle

Wow - there's a lot of hustling going on - a lot of bustling, too! I have many pictures to share, many blog posts swarming in the back of my head, just waiting to get out. Somehow, though, they aren't coming to the forefront. Amazingly, thankfully, Jesus is.

We spent part of the weekend at a family Christmas party that was far from perfect, and left us all wondering. I have spent the last couple days worrying about present counts, if anyone will open an unequal amount, or if everything I chose will be appropriate and welcome - and I've been wondering. Chance has two Christmas things at school, so we've been practicing, rehearsing, singing, and preparing - and I'm wondering if nerves will get him or if he will remember all he's practiced and come through - either way, it will be far from perfect, but somehow still okay.

This world is so imperfect, yet we try to make it just right. Especially for the holidays. Our families are imperfect, but somehow during Christmas, if anytime, we want them to be just so. Our homes are far from perfect, but we pull out all the stops and decorate them, making them a perfect haven for the story of Christ. Can you believe He came into this hustling, bustling, competitive, showy world? For us?

I have always loved Kathy Mattea's version of Mary Did You Know? It's not a far stretch to imagine being that girl - an imperfect vessel to be used for the Glory of God. There was no way she had a clue as to the enormity of the 33 years in front of her - but she obeyed. Thankfully, she obeyed.

What has caught my attention more this season was brought about by a song by Todd Agnew that I heard a few times on the radio. It's called Did You Know? - but it's from Jesus' perspective. I know my mind cannot fully comprehend or even appreciate the Triune God concept - I am thankful for it, and study it, and I try, but I know it is beyond my human thinking. It's why songs like this are so intriguing to me.

How much did He know? He knew all of it before He came down - but as a 1-day-old baby, how much did He know? He was still 100% God, yet he was 100% human - and a helpless baby, at that! He is the one who told the angel to tell Joseph His name - but did they have to teach the baby His name, even though the God already knew it? As that baby looked into Mary's eyes, did he remember creating them? He knew of His impending death on the cross - of the nails that would scar his hands - yet he chose, as his trade, to pound more nails than we could imagine. Did he wince as he pounded?

I can't even fathom. But I can praise. I can sing loudly with the song and ask the questions - thankful that my salvation doesn't depend on knowing the answers, thankful for an active mind that would try to understand the enormity of His sacrifice, thankful mostly for the sacrifice in itself. Halleluiah - What A Savior!

Here's the song-------

Did You Know
Todd Agnew

Were Mary’s the first eyes you saw
Or did You remember choosing that shade of brown?

Were You surprised at the shepherd’s crazy story
Or did You know You wrote the song the angels sang?

What was this life like for You?

Did You know?
Did the cross cast its shadow o’er your cradle?
Did You know?
Did You shudder each time Your hammer struck a nail?
Did you know?
How much heaven and how much earth
Were in this baby at His birth?
Did you know?
Or did you wonder?

Did you remember the brightness of Your glory
Or did You just notice it was cold and dark here?

Did You know Your name or did you have to be told?

Were You just a baby or were You as old as time?

What was Your life like?

Did You know?
Did the cross cast its shadow o’er your cradle?
Did You know?
Did You shudder each time Your hammer struck a nail?
Did you know?
How much heaven and how much earth
Were in this baby at His birth?
Did you know?
Or did you wonder?


Merry Christmas - may each of you pause from shopping, crafting, hustling, and bustling long enough just to wonder. It'll make your season . . .

2 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

What a poignant post, Heather. Thank you. Merry Christmas.

Susan said...

Beautiful post, and great timing for me amidst my hustle and bustle. Thanks Heather!