Wednesday, October 31, 2007

In Which I Grudgingly Admit I Was Born In The Right Era, Cont. . .

"Well," I say slyly, "many of your family members do not have RV's, so I assume those of us that do have RV's will bring them - leaving the cabin beds open, right?"


Lucky for me, that was a correct assumption. We brought the camper. Score 1 for the "Modern Day Pioneer Woman" - portable running water, facilities, and adjustable heat stove and oven ;-) It is at this point that I decide a true Pioneer Woman would have used every advantage possible - I am no worse off by using modern conveniences when I can - she would have if she could have, believe me!


It ended up that three families (us included) spent the weekend. We all brought our RV's (yep, bunch of cheaters, we are!), and socialized and ate together in the cabin - pictured here . . .





I found out (the hard way) that the whole wood cook stove thing is a learned art - one that will take more than a mere weekend for this Pioneer to master. This was our cooking apparatus . . .




These are the things I will admit to specifically about the wood cook stove - I can get a roaring fire going in that tiny, little box. I can boil a mean pot of water for cocoa, etc. I can cook bacon atop the burners of said roaring fire - crisp, crisp bacon. I am humble enough to admit defeat, and offer to take Chris' egg casserole to my temperature-controlled camper oven, so that all campers could have an e-coli free, well-cooked breakfast. While I love the look of the old stove, I'm thinking the following electric option from VanDyke's Restorers is a better option for my skill level . . .



In red, of course!!


We had a most fantastic time - working, playing, and exploring. We had a pumpkin carving contest on Saturday night - here are the entries . . .


It was tons of fun to carve them - Jake found out that he likes pumpkin, and loved being under the table waiting for stray eye and nose cut-outs to make their way down.

Yeah, you read right - it was Jake's inaugural camping trip. And he did great! He's shaping up to be a pretty darn good pup. I'm sure there's an update post on his ever growing frame coming up in the near future.

To sum it all up - I love the old, Pioneery kind of stuff. As long as I have my bathroom, thermostat controlled oven, and a heater to plug in that doesn't necessarily require midnight fire-stoking adventures. The cabin holds so many memories for Matt, which he is passing down to our boys - and this makes me love the place even more.

Maybe after next year's trip, I'll be able to report near expert skills on that wood cook stove, and, like Matt's granny, be able to say I baked a cake in that oven! But, don't count on it - if you want to hear of feats such as this, you'll probably have to read it from the real Pioneer Woman!

No comments: