Monday, October 8, 2007

Deep Water Faith in the Shallow End



Casting Crowns

The Altar and The Door Tour

Wow!

I'm not sure anything more intelligent will come out of this post besides - Wow!

My friend, Erinne, and I got to go to the Casting Crowns concert last night. It made for a late, late night, and an early, early morning - but it was so very worth it!

They played their popular songs that I knew, as well as new songs from "The Altar and The Door" album, which I immediately loved, bought the CD, and have been singing in a peculiarly loud voice ever since.

Their stage wasn't showy - just a large projector screen behind them with video that enhanced whatever song was playing. During 2 songs, an artist painted a piece that paralleled the lyrics he was singing - finally ending up with this:


I've never come so close to owning a piece of real art in my life. The original was signed and dated by the artist, and sold for $500 after the show. I don't even know that it's particularly good - it was more the experience, and what the piece says. Moving - that's it.

These guys are so REAL - I think that's what I liked most about them. It wasn't a group of pious, Christian people telling you how you ought to live your life. It was seven people, completely recognizing they were on that stage to glorify God, talking about real-life stuff, and where to go for those answers. It was just plain awesome - nope, I take that back - God was awesome. And, I count myself blessed to have been a part of it.

The theme of the whole concert was, obviously, "The Altar and The Door". The talking points centered around some basic facts:


  • At the altar (church, worship, bible study, even a Christian concert), everything is clear - you know what you have to do, what you should do, what's right, what's wrong, who you want to talk to about Jesus and His saving power, etc.

  • But, that walk down the center aisle is a long one.

  • If not in distance, at least for your heart.

  • Something happens between the altar and the door.

  • All of the sudden, you're outside - on your own, relying on your own faith and your own walk.

  • And you start to question.

  • You forget that Jesus came through the door with you.

  • He's with you - He's ready to help you - no matter what the situation.

One of my favorites of their new songs was "Somewhere in the Middle." It's where I feel like I spend a lot of my time - "somewhere between the hot and the cold . . .somewhere between the new and the old.............fearless warriors in a picket fence, reckless abandon wrapped in common sense, deep water faith in the shallow end . . .we are caught in the middle." I know I'm not my old self - my sinful self - God saved me from that. I also know I've got a long way to go before I'm the creation He made me to be.

Thankfully, He loves me no matter where I am. I am His - whether I've stumbled into a pit, I'm reaching for the stars, or I'm caught somewhere in the middle. What a promise . . .

Thanks, Casting Crowns, for a fabulous evening of worshiping our Lord. Thank you, Lord, for enveloping that auditorium with Your spirit - we were all blessed.

2 comments:

Cynthia said...

Sounds wonderful! I love the messages!

matchie said...

awesome group love their lyrics.seen them last halloween 2008 in belfast will never forget.Can`t wait to see them again.