Monday, September 24, 2007

He makes all things new!

A few posts back, I listed several accomplishments of our busy weekend. One of those accomplishments was that we made great progress toward painting the barns and outbuildings on our property. I'm guessing it had been at least 30 years since they were last painted. Here's what we were working with:













My, what a coat of paint can do to things! Here's where we ended up after this weekend:




The Barn

The Chicken Coop

Lawnmower Shed


It was a busy, busy couple of weekends. As I often do when I'm doing a mundane or mindless job, my mind wandered quite a bit. I was singing praise songs (in my head, because my boys make so much fun of my singing), I was thinking about the week ahead, about the current Bible study I'm doing with my daily morning reading, etc. etc. At first, as I watched the transformation of our barns, all I could think of was how "new" they looked. And the promise that someday soon, God will make all things new -

And God shall wipe away all tears from their eyes; and there shall be no more death, neither sorrow, nor crying, neither shall there be any more pain: for the former things are passed away. And he that sat upon the throne said, Behold, I make all things new. And he said unto me, Write: for these words are true and faithful. -Revalation 21:4-5.


As we were doing the tedious job of painting the trim, we had a view into the buildings that we were painting that doesn't show up on the photos. Frankly, they have a bunch of junk in them - sometimes well-organized junk, but junk none-the-less. And I started to think - it doesn't really matter what the outside of these buildings look like - they are still housing all-together too much stuff - too much baggage. Which prompted me to 1 Samuel 16:7 -

But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things man looks at. Man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”

So, I had to wonder - what kind of "paint" am I using in my life? Am I choosing my activities to honor the Lord, out of love, or using them to cover up what's really on the inside? For the Lord will search my heart - He will look past all of the service, church attendance, volunteerism, and good deeds - He will ask with what kind of heart did I do these things - to further God's kingdom, or to paint/exalt my own self?

Lord, please help me to put off all that I would use to exalt myself - I want to do it for you, God. For Your kingdom - for Your glory. But, I need Your help . . . Make me new!

1 comment:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh wow! What powerful thoughts...and that paint job is beautiful. What a difference. I loved your applications to life from the scriptures.