Tuesday, September 4, 2007

First Day - Chance


Today is Chance's 1st day of 3rd grade. His school got delayed a bit with the construction on the new building, so he got a few extra days of summer.

.

He was both excited and nervous at the same time. He has a very small class (12), so seeing everyone again was exciting. There were a couple new people to meet, including a new boy, a new girl, and his teacher - Mrs. Anderson. Ever since I found out her name, all I can think about is the movie The Matrix, when that guy says, in his kind of creepy, evil voice, "Mr. Anderson." I thought I was kind of weird for thinking this, until we were walking into the classroom today, and Matt, mimicking the creepy voice says, "Mrs. Anderson" Maybe we're both weird . . .

.

With the new school, came a whole new set of nerves for Chance. He is really a routine kind of guy - likes to know when we're doing something, exactly where we're going, who's going to be there, etc, etc. We came into the school at one of the side entrances and found Chance's classroom. His teacher hadn't put names on the cubbies or desks or anything - it was part of a scavenger hunt the kids would do once they got into the classroom. She told Chance just to set his stuff down anywhere - that he would learn where his desk, cubbie, etc. were during the scavenger hunt. I think this just added to his nervousness - new school, new classroom, new teacher, a couple new kids, unknown desk, unknown cubbie - I could see the wheels just turning.

.

We took a walk around the building to see his old teacher, and went outside via the other entrance. He asked me to stay with him and walk him back in when the bell rang. He wasn't sure he could find his way. Then, as we walked by the door we first came in, I could hear him talking to himself "Okay, come in from the playground - past the golf carts - go in the door by the pop machines - last door on the left." It was so cute! But, then, once he'd convinced himself he would be okay, he wanted nothing more to do with Matt and I. See you guys, I'm gonna go pay until the bell rings!

.

Who know where the kid developed all his "planning" skills and other Type A personality traits, but judging by the pit in my stomach from meeting his teacher for the first time, going to a different building for the office and payments, having a different parking lot routine, etc - I think I know where some of it may have come from!

.

Good luck today, Chance - you're doing great! I can't wait to hear all about it when I pick you up.

1 comment:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Can't wait to hear how it went Heather. I loved hearing what he said to himself to give him confidence.