Friday, September 14, 2007

Favorite Ingredients Friday - Salsa

Okay, for the regulars to my blog, I have officially dumped the recipe Wednesday crew - JK!! Actually, Darla and I talked about joining Overwhelmed on her recipe exchange that she does each Friday - that way, those of you who look forward to the recipes could follow the link and get several recipes instead of two or three - oh, who am I kidding - we wanted to have several recipes available, instead of just two or three!

Anyway, I have officially made the switch this week. Unfortunately, this is totally blind-sighting Janice, who still had a great Wednesday recipe this week, and also will somewhat surprise Darla, who also did Recipe Wednesday, and will be amazed that I actually quit procrastinating and took the plunge. So, even though they are not (yet) part of the Friday recipe exchange, please still visit them for their Wednesday offerings this week.

Without further ado (because really, that's enough ado, let's get on with the recipe already ;-), I respectfully submit our recipe for Salsa or Picante Sauce. This recipe comes from Matt's mom, and is a sweet, then spicy (depending on how much kick you put to it) kind of taste. From my experience, it's not a middle-of-the-road kind of taste - you either love it, or you think it's weird. Speaking for our family, we love it! I almost never have all the ingredients in their prescribed amounts - it's a very forgiving recipe, and you can easily adjust it to your personal taste.

Picante Sauce

1 c Green Peppers
2 T Hot Peppers
3 T Jalapeno peppers
3 C Onion (I never use this much, but I have a bit of an aversion to onions, so I'll give it to you in it's original amount . . .)

Puree all of the above in a food processor or salsa chopper.

4 qt Tomatoes - peeled and chopped
3 c Sugar
2 c White Vinegar
2 T Chili Powder
1 T Garlic Salt
2 T Beef Bouillon Cubes
2 t Ground Cloves
1 t Basil Leaves
1 t Paprika
1 T Red Pepper (I usually add more)
1 t Celery Salt

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Simmer until thick, several hours, stirring occasionally. This sauce is best when served cold, but we use up the first quart on a bag of tortilla chips while it's cooling off, because we can't wait that long! Freezes very well.

Now, you can head over to Overwhelmed with Joy, and check out all the other Favorite Ingredient Friday participants. Happy Cooking!

3 comments:

Overwhelmed! said...

Heather, I'm so glad that you've decided to join my FIF Recipe Exchange! :) You're off to a great start with your Picante Sauce
recipe. I'm printing it out to try! :)

Thanks for participating in my Favorite Ingredients Friday recipe exchange. I do appreciate it!

I hope to see you again next Friday for my "Sandwich Edition" of my FIF recipe exchange. :)

Let me know if you have any questions along the way!

Magi said...

We love salsa around here. Thanks!

Renee's Ramblings said...

Great recipe! We love salsa in our house. Welcome to FIF and thanks for sharing your recipe. Have a great weekend.