Friday, September 28, 2007

Favorite Ingredient Friday - Apple Butter


Okay, it's apple harvest time! So, here's a great recipe for Apple Butter from my friend Becki. This recipe calls for applesauce, and takes about 3-4 hours. Typically, I start early in the morning, with whole apples, slice them, cook them to applesauce stage, and then start on the apple butter - so it's pretty much an all day process, but well worth it! I have an unusually small oven, so I make mine in one of those big electric turkey roasters - works great!


Apple Butter
Becki Muhlbeier

8 Cup Apple Sauce
4 Cup Sugar
¼ Cup Vinegar
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
1 teaspoon Cloves
1 dash Nutmeg


Bake in the oven at 325 for three hours. Stir every ten minutes, until last half hour, then every five minutes.


Fujis Rock. You can deviate the spice ratios. I like more nutmeg than it calls for. Cloves make it darker looking. You can add other fruit also, to mix it up. I have used pears and multiple type of apple varieties. If you want to make it diet, you can reduce the sugar. If it isn't thick enough for you with less sugar, just cook it down a little longer.


Enjoy this great treat of fall! For more Friday recipes, please visit Overwhelmed With Joy.

4 comments:

Renee's Ramblings said...

Oh, Yumm! Thanks for sharing.

Joyful Days said...

I would never have considered the vinegar. Wow, this sounds good.

Kathleen Marie said...

I'll be making a lot of this this coming week...Wonderful!

Magi said...

We're going to the apple orchard soon. I'll be using all these apple recipes.