Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Recipe Wednesday - Soup

Well, it's windy and rainy here this week, so Darla and I decided to go with soups. Not real appropriate for summer, but very appropriate for the weather we've been having!

I'm going to try and be as accurate as I can with his recipe, but it is one I often just throw together with whatever ingredients are on hand. My friend Jay would cringe, because in his mind, "you just don't start a good soup with canned soup!" To him, this includes cream of mushroom/chicken, or any "shortcut." Thankfully, he doesn't read my blog, so I am including my super-easy, but still super-good clam chowder recipe!

Clam Chowder

2 cans Clam Chowder (I use New England or Snows)
2 cans (empty chowder cans) milk or half-n-half
2 cans chopped Clams
1/2 - 1 lb bacon, cooked and crumbled
2 pounds potatoes, cooked and diced
1 tsp Thyme
Salt & Pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients and simmer for awhile. Excellent with crusty rolls or bread sticks.

The nice thing about this one is you can go pretty light if you want to (reduced fat soup, l/f milk or f/f, turkey bacon). I just make it to suit our mood - sometimes it is sinfully rich, sometimes it is low-fat, but still very good!

If you are having fabulous weather, just print this one out, and enjoy it later in the fall!

No comments: