Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Camping, Camping, Camping

Wow, what a weekend. It's good to be campin' again, that's for sure! Just thought I'd give you some snippets of our weekend . . .

On Sunday, the wind blew SOOOOO hard! Wow! Everyone retreated to the safety of one camper or another, and played games or visited over cups of hot cocoa. Many, many tents ended up in mangled messes at the other end of the campground - not fun at all! I was so thankful we have a camper on that day!

I am going to try to do this paragraph without stereotyping, but it's going to be a tough one. The people across from us in the campground were and interesting bunch. When they showed up, the first thing they unloaded was the 1/2 gallon of whiskey - then they proceeded to the 4 or 20 tents that they erected on one campsite. In general, they were much more night-owls than we were, and seemed to enjoy playing their music loud enough for all to hear. Now, is it just me, or when they break out the boom box, are ya just certain that at some point it's going to blare loud 80's hard rock? Not that there's anything wrong with 80's hard rock, except that it's no longer the 80's, and it seems some people haven't been made aware of this, and at 2:00 a.m., it's REALLY not the 80's anymore - it's time to get some sleep!

Once again, we had fabulous food - and I have a great new recipe to share with you guys tomorrow! Colton, who is my picky eater, could be heard many times this weekend saying, "Wow, this is just scrumptious! Isn't this scrumptious, mom? I really think this is scrumptious!"

The boat had a few hiccups, but the kids had a blast. All of them rode on the "tank" tube, including Colton. Rumor has it that Wyatt was totally inverted for a matter of a few seconds, and managed to still hang on, despite Matt's best efforts to dump him. From the sounds of the stories, and the way they got better each time they were told, I think all the kids had a great afternoon on Saturday.

I finished the book I was in the middle of - Mere Christianity by CS Lewis. It was a really good book. I really like his writing style, and the straight forward message in this book. I totally recommend it - but only if you want to think, because you won't come out of it the same as you went in. Which should be the way with any good book, right?

We are trying to plan a big trip for next year, but can't decide which direction to head. It will probably be a week-long trip. We are split between mountains or ocean. Montana, Oregon, Idaho, Washington. We are spoiled enough to need hookups at least part of the time. So, where do you guys camp? What am I missing out on? If you had a week with your camper, where would you go?

We got to walk lots, ride lots of bikes, swim some, boat some, visit lots, eat lots, and enjoy even more. Already can't wait 'til next time!

1 comment:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh Heather, this sounds like it was so much fun. I can't wait for the recipe. And Mere Christianity? I've been meaning to read that for a long time. I loved how you said you don't come out the other side like you went in. I'll read it before the fall retreat and then we can discuss it on the night I stay up late :)