Monday, March 19, 2007

Do You Want a Piece of Me?

Okay, just in case all 3 of you that read this blog need a reason to chuckle for today - yet another amusing story about Colton and his antics. For those of you not-so-familiar, Colton is my 3-year-old.

Last weekend on Saturday, the kids are playing out in the yard. They are having a great time with their cousins, and playing HARD. I know Colton is having a great time, but I also know that the evening will be a meltdown-waiting-to-happen if he doesn't get a nap.

So, I call him in to the house for a nap. His first excuse is that he hasn't had his lunch yet (lunch that was served an hour ago, but he was too busy to eat). Said lunch is still on a plate, so I hand him his now cold piece of pizza and tell him to eat quickly, because it is time for a rest.

Next is the all-too-familiar - "YOU ARE MEAN! And I'm not your buddy anymore!"

To which I respond - "Thankfully, Colton, it's not my job to be your buddy, it's my job to be your mommy."

As I walk away from him, I hear (I hear this because it is SHOUTED toward my retreating back) - "Do you want a piece of me?"

BTW - Thanks, Tom Jones, for introducing this saying in our house many, many years ago.

I wheel around and say "What did you just say?" (picture clenched teeth - from a combination of anger and trying to hold the laugh inside.)

Colton, never one to back down, replies - "I said-DO YOU (finger pointing toward me) WANT A PIECE, OF (finger pointing toward himself) ME!!!!!"

Oh yeah, buddy, I'll take the whole thing. I'll take the whole thing right to the time-out step, so that I can leave the room and commence to totally. cracking. up.

Now, I know - believe me, I know - that this is really no laughing matter. It's very possible that I'm raising a total brat. But, my goodness, there has to be a little bit of admiration there for the way he won't back down, and isn't afraid to get right in the middle of his mother. I am praying (hourly) that these traits will serve him well in his "peer pressure" years.

Obviously, I could use all your prayers, as well.

3 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

That is funny, Heather. Really funny. I can't WAIT to see how you scrapbook that story.

Darla said...

Heather,
I'm still laughing.. We have to swear not to put Elijah & Colton in the same class / school...

Susan said...

Oh My Goodness! That is a great story!