Thursday, February 22, 2007

Valued vs. Valuable

We had bible study at church last night--this has become one of my favorite weekly activities. I find that I get kind of "out of kilter" if I miss a Wednesday night study. Currently, we are going through James McDonald's book Gripped by the Greatness of God. What a blessing it has been!

One of the biggest things to hit me during the entire series was a point we explored last night. Being valued versus being valuable. The bible says that I am valued by God. He finds value in His creation. Isaiah 43:4 - Since you are precious and honored in my sight, and because I love you, I will give men in exchange for you, and people in exchange for your life.

It seems like a small nuance, but that is not to be confused with valuable. Many aspects of our society right now put being valuable on a pedestal. But, we must be very careful not to strive to be valuable in the eyes of this world. A valuable employee can easily stumble and be replaced. A valuable car can easily get rusted or dented and not be as valuable anymore. A valuable piece of jewelry will become dull and tarnished, and soon not be so valuable. And, if I am valuable, then my qualities, accomplishments, defeats, and falls can alter that perspective.

Thankfully, being valued by God has absolutely nothing to do with anything about me! I can't do anything to either increase or decrease it. It is all about God, and what He sees in His creation. Doesn't that just take the pressure off? What a relief! Now, I can get on with my day . . .

2 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

So true, Heather. I was just studying that myself today. Our worth was determined long before we came to earth, the Savior decided it when he said we were worth His life. I'm glad you're enjoying your bible study group.

Darla said...

Heather,
I love your blog...& I just wanted you to know how much I value your friendship... Thanks for always being there :)