Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Christmas Jars


For Christmas, my friend Annette got me a book called Christmas Jars by Jason Wright. There just hasn't seemed to be much time for reading since that time. I mentioned before that we are reading Gripped by the Greatness of God for our bible study in church this session, so getting my required reading done each week and still scouring the sales ads in the newspaper were about all the reading I could handle!

Anyway, we decided not to turn the TV on last night - not really a conscious decision, it just didn't get turned on. So, while Matt was reading the paper, I picked up this book and decided I would finally start it. Here are three reasons why it is now on my all time favorite book list:

  1. It is an easy read--no complicated plot, $100 words, tiny print, etc.

  2. It's a pretty short book.

  3. It is so fabulous, you can't put it down!!!

It tells the story of a family who, the first year they were married, saved their change from Thanksgiving to Christmas in a jar, and that was their budget for buying gifts for each other. As the years went on and their family grew, they saved change for longer periods of time. One year, through circumstances I'll let you read about, they end up giving the Christmas jar away. And that becomes their new tradition. And, as each person is touched by their giving, the tradition spreads to countless people throughout their community.

It was all about giving, forgiving, putting others before yourself--it just embodies the true spirit of Christmas, and of Christ Himself. I am officially recommending it to everyone (or at least to all 3 people who ready my blog ;-) Don't wait until the holiday season - read Christmas Jars now, and start your own tradition!

2 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Heather, I really liked the book, too! One of my students suggested I read it and so I did. I loved that it was a quick read and stayed with me.

Anonymous said...

Hi Heather,
Just to let you know that Darla let me know that you had a blog. So your numbers are increasing!
Just so all of my friends that have blogs I have to admit that I am a lurker (everyday).
I enjoy it so much to hear about your day.
Donna C.